Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Busy but not productive

2010-horizontal-border-master

Despite appearances to the contrary, I have not forgotten this blog.  I’ve just had an extraordinarily busy – if not productive – month.  Weird, isn’t it, how being busy does not necessarily mean you’ve been productive?

I’ve been working on a freelance graphic design project – laying out a children’s book for its author – that tied up the first three Sundays of this month.  Graphic design is not my first love, but it brings in money when I can find the work, and that is a good thing.  It’s also not particularly noteworthy work to go into a photography blog.

I’ve also been working hard on putting together a shop on the Etsy website.  It would be a way to fund some of my photography by actually selling it to people other than the ones who have me take their pictures.  I won’t pretend it’s been successful, but I’m adding to my selection every day and taking notes on what may or may not sell well.  Note cards are a potential good seller, for instance, but I have to find the way to produce them that doesn’t cost more than they will sell for.  Not spellbinding stuff for a photography blog.

And there was the photo shoot that the client thought he could short-change me on.  My photo shoots are charged based on a two-hour minimum.  If the shoot is over in one hour, you still pay for two hours of my time.  Trying to talk me out of this – especially after you’ve agreed to the terms – is not a good idea.  I stood my ground, I got paid, and ultimately, the client is happy with his photos.  If there is a lesson there, I guess it is that you should never compromise on the important things.  Your time, your effort, and your results are worth a certain negotiated amount, and you shouldn’t settle for less.

Throw in a wedding, making prints as gifts, mailing things, replacing four tires on my car, and the absence of a very important person in my life, and things were just really busy.  With all of this going on, I haven’t spent a lot of time shooting for pleasure, which makes me a little sad.  I guess all work and no play really makes Travis a dull boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment